Sunday, July 4, 2010

EXAMS!

Students might hate exams, but if you think teachers enjoy them...think twice ;)
I had a chance to experience a real Chinese exam craze from teacher`s perspective!

Last week had Oral English exam: 110 students, 7 non-stop hours in sauna conditions listening to my students... Air-con was not working, so the whole exam felt like a supper extended Turkish steam bath session (I guess temperature was around +35)!

And the real Chinese University exam experience was British & American culture exam.
I had prepared 2 multiple choice tests `cause it`s officially required to have 2 versions - 1 is randomly chosen for the official exam and the other version is meant for the failed students to take the test again.

My test consisted of 20 question which I thought was more than enough... After submitting it it to University (cause that`s what you have to do here) it turned out it`s way too short `cause they usually have like 90 questions!!!!! Somehow they forgot to mention this to me.. So luckily it was way too late to write more questions, so solution was to add 2 open questions (which meant I had not only to correct 230 tests, but also to read 230 answers - that`s the number of students in my class).

Here you can see the fast way to correct the test (cut the write answer holes in the test result form :) (it still took me several days & quite many hours to deal with the huge test pile)

Failed student... I had to fail around 10 students (first ones ever to fail for me)... but the truth is in this kind of test there`s not much you can do about it - just calculate the score and the maths is cruel in this case...

The best student - only one student got all the test answers right! (and consider that it was an open book exam where students were allowed to have all the printed materials they wanted!!!)



And now luckily all the exam fun is over and my summer vacation has started :)

No comments: